Connect with us

Sports

‘D Gukesh doesn’t particularly need to prove anything to anyone’: Indian GM brutally silences World Championship critics

Published

on

Spread the love

The pressure has been mounting on D Gukesh after another poor Freestyle Chess showing at the the Paris Grand Slam event, as he failed to even qualify for the knockouts. It comes after his winless run in Weissenhaus, where he managed to finish in eighth place and was at least in the knockouts. The 18-year-old is the reigning World Chess Champion after beating Ding Liren in Singapore last year, and is also the youngest in history to bag the title.

World Chess Champion D Gukesh during an event.(HT_PRINT)
World Chess Champion D Gukesh during an event.(HT_PRINT)

But the manner of his victory over Liren saw Gukesh receive criticism from the likes of Magnus Carlsen and Vladimir Kramnik, who accused him of lacking quality.

But Gukesh silenced his critics with a strong showing at the Tata Masters in Wijk aan Zee, finishing in second position. His classical chess form has been good, but his introduction to Chess960 has been a disaster. He failed to win a single match at Weissenhaus, and managed to end that streak in Paris.

After his performance in Paris, Gukesh was once again put into the spotlight and this time fell victim to a former Carlsen second, Norwegian GM Jon Ludvig Hammer, who questioned his ability to hold on to the title.

‘D Gukesh is universally accepted as the world champion and there is no questioning that’

Rushing to Gukesh’s defence, Indian GM Srinath Narayanan had a brutal reply for the likes of Hammer and Carlsen. Speaking to Indian Express, he said, “I don’t feel any particular attempt to downplay Gukesh as the world champion in general. He is universally accepted as the world champion and there is no questioning that.”

“Gukesh doesn’t particularly need to prove anything to anyone. I also haven’t noticed anyone mentioning that Gukesh won the World championship by luck. As for Gukesh’s results in freestyle, I think 1-2 tournaments is far too early to draw any major conclusions.”

Srinath also had a word of caution for Gukesh. “Gukesh certainly has the ability to keep the crown. But it will definitely not be easy and his next challenger could very well be one of his compatriots from India or from his age group. Him and his trainers will have the best idea on what he needs to do to improve and defend his title,” he said.

“I don’t think a competitive rivalry will have any negative effect on the sport. For example, in tennis for a period of time we had Federer (Roger), Nadal (Rafael) and Djokovic (Novak) all closely at the top and the rivalry was brilliant to watch,” he added.

Gukesh will also face Magnus Carlsen in the upcoming Norway Chess, and it will be in the classical format. The tournament is scheduled to begin in May.

Sports

Soccer-Eustaquio juggles duties with Porto and Canada | Football News

Published

on

By

Spread the love

By Mohamed Yossry

HT Image
HT Image

June 22 – Portuguese club Porto’s squad for the Club World Cup includes midfielder Stephen Eustaquio, the captain of Canada, who is also listed in his national team’s roster for the ongoing CONCACAF Gold Cup being held in the United States.

Having a player represent both his club and national team in two official competitions at the same time is a rare occurrence in football history.

Porto began their campaign in the revamped tournament with a goalless draw against Brazil’s Palmeiras last Monday in East Rutherford, just one day before Canada’s Gold Cup opener in Vancouver.

With the Gold Cup jointly hosted by Canada and the U.S., and the Canadian team moving on to Houston, for the rest of their group stage matches, the possibility of Eustaquio joining the squad became realistic, provided Porto’s journey in the Club World Cup ends.

The flight from East Rutherford to Houston takes about three hours.

” allowed by FIFA and CONCACAF,” Canada’s media office told Reuters.

“Eustaquio was named to both rosters a few weeks back, and if fit and able, he will join Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team following Porto’s conclusion at the Club World Cup,” the national team added in an email.

The inclusion of the 28-year-old Eustaquio in both squads comes at a time when many players are wary of fatigue at the end of the season.

Porto did not respond to Reuters’ request for comment.

The Portuguese side wraps up the group stage with a match against Egypt’s Al Ahly on Monday. It remains unclear whether they will progress to the knockout rounds.

Canada, meanwhile, crushed Honduras 6–0, and drew 1-1 with Curacao on Sunday. They conclude the group stage against El Salvador on June 24.

Eustaquio came off the bench in the draw against Palmeiras and the 2–1 loss to Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami.

The Canadian team said: “We want him to do well in the Club World Cup and we also would welcome him back into the men’s run at the Gold Cup.”

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Continue Reading

Sports

Eustaquio juggles duties with Porto and Canada

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Portuguese club Porto’s squad for the Club World Cup includes midfielder Stephen Eustaquio, the captain of Canada, who is also listed in his national team’s roster for the ongoing CONCACAF Gold Cup being held in the United States.

Having a player represent both his club and national team in two official competitions at the same time is a rare occurrence in football history.

Porto began its campaign in the revamped tournament with a goalless draw against Brazil’s Palmeiras last Monday in East Rutherford, just one day before Canada’s Gold Cup opener in Vancouver.

With the Gold Cup jointly hosted by Canada and the U.S., and the Canadian team moving on to Houston, for the rest of its group stage matches, the possibility of Eustaquio joining the squad became realistic, provided Porto’s journey in the Club World Cup ends.

The flight from East Rutherford to Houston takes about three hours.

“(It’s) allowed by FIFA and CONCACAF,” Canada’s media office told Reuters.

“Eustaquio was named to both rosters a few weeks back, and if fit and able, he will join Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team following Porto’s conclusion at the Club World Cup,” the national team added in an email.

READ: Haji Wright will miss rest of CONCACAF Gold Cup with Achilles injury

The inclusion of the 28-year-old Eustaquio in both squads comes at a time when many players are wary of fatigue at the end of the season.

Porto did not respond to Reuters’ request for comment.

The Portuguese side wraps up the group stage with a match against Egypt’s Al Ahly on Monday. It remains unclear whether it will progress to the knockout rounds.

Canada, meanwhile, crushed Honduras 6–0 and drew 1–1 with Curacao on Sunday. It concludes the group stage against El Salvador on June 24.

Eustaquio came off the bench in the draw against Palmeiras and the 2–1 loss to Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami.

The Canadian team said: “We want him to do well in the Club World Cup and we also would welcome him back into the men’s run at the Gold Cup.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Bumrah is world’s best, extremely hard to face when he comes in down hill with lights on: Duckett

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Leeds, Jasprit Bumrah is undoubtedly the world’s best bowler and extremely hard to face when he “comes in down the hill with lights on and swinging both ways”, feels England opener Ben Duckett after the India pace spearhead tormented the host batters in the opening Test here.

HT Image
HT Image

Bumrah was exceptional, grabbing all the England wickets that fell on Day 2, including that of the dangerous Joe Root. England, though, recovered from the early loss of opener Zak Crawley to end the day on 209 for 3 in reply to India’s first innings total of 471.

One-down Ollie Pope was holding fort on unbeaten 100 with England still trailing by 262 runs.

“He is the best bowler in the world. He’s extremely hard to face, good in any conditions, and when he’s coming in down the hill with the lights on and it’s swinging both ways, it’s tough,” Duckett said after play on Day 2 Saturday.

“His ability to bowl three or four different balls with no cue you don’t know if he’s bowling a bouncer, or a slow ball, a yorker, an away-swinger or an inswinger until it comes out of his hand. You’ve got to watch the ball so hard with him, it’s very difficult to pick up Jasprit.”

Pope survived Bumrah onslaught to lead the England fightback and hit his ninth Test ton under trying conditions, and Duckett said the one-drop batter “stayed true to the way he plays”.

“He was just so calm coming out. He probably couldn’t come out in tougher conditions, with Jasprit Bumrah running down the hill with the lights on. I don’t know what’s inside his head, but he’s just stayed true to the way he plays,” said Duckett who made 62 before becoming Bumrah’s second victim.

“There’s no better feeling than that, scoring a hundred against that attack, coming out in the first over. You could see it in the way he celebrated, and it didn’t just mean a lot to him, it meant a huge amount in the dressing room as well. I had goosebumps for him.”

There was speculation about Pope’s place in the team despite his 171 in the one-off Test against Zimbabwe last month, but the century under pressure and against a fiery Bumrah may silence the sceptics for a while at least.

“We’re very good at keeping things in the dressing room, but obviously you can hear the noise from outside of it. There’s noise outside the dressing room but there’s no noise in it. We’re not having discussions about who’s going to play,” said Duckett.

“It seemed pretty clear coming into this Test match that if a bloke scores 171 a few weeks ago he’s going to play this one. The way Pope has dealt with that has just been superb and just sums up and proves why he’s England’s No 3 and doing the things that he’s doing.”

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Continue Reading

Trending

© 2024 247News.co.in | All Rights Reserved